The history of the steel location of Peine began with the foundation of Peiner Walzwerk Incorporated for the processing of pig iron from the nearby Ilseder Hütte: I-sections have been rolled in Peine since 1876.
With the invention and patenting of the Peine beam – a parallel wide flange beam – it was already at the beginning of the 20th century that we earned a reputation which is yet to have lost its resonance today. The 'Peiner' has become a synonym for high quality steel beams and sections and sets standards all over the world.
A good reputation was also the aim of Peiner Walzwerker Verein: This association was founded in 1878 already in order to encourage the Peiner community to sympathize with immigrated workers from many different regions. The association has become rich in traditions and is nowadays a solid part of cultural life in Peine.
After World War II had taken its toll on Peiner Walzwerke, the 1950s and 1960s were all about modernization: Besides the expansion of factory buildings, a new basic oxygen steelmaking plant was put into operation and the old Thomas steel mill was shut down. This was a big step towards higher quality and efficiency as the Thomas procedure had exerted a long-run toughening effect on steel.
The following decades were tough as well: In 1970, state-owned Salzgitter AG integrated its steel department into Ilseder Hütte and simultaneously acquired the majority of shares. Stahlwerke Peine-Salzgitter had been created and was bought a few years later by Preussag AG. We changed our name from Stahlwerke Peine-Salzgitter AG to Preussag Stahl AG until we regained independence as a company with Salzgitter AG’s stock market launch in 1998.
Peiner Träger GmbH has been an operationally independent subsidiary company of Salzgitter AG since 2001. Within the Salzgitter Group, we represent the area of steel and technology and the successful application of steel for special areas of use. Our strategy is aligned to ensuring the solidity and sustainability of the Peine plant: from 2007 until 2010 we initialized an investment programme of 400 million Euros, which included the full modernisation of our production facilities in consideration of all environmental and sustainability aspects in the production chain. An excellent basis for developing innovative steel grades and products together with our customers now and in the future.